How to connect a computer to WiFi
Some users are interested in the question of how to connect a computer to wifi – how difficult it is and whether it is possible at all. In fact, connecting a PC to the Global Network “wirelessly” is a feasible task.
A stationary computer is called such because, in view of its permanent residence, it involves connecting all relevant communications to it using wires. Of course, if necessary, the PC can be moved to another place, but this action involves a radical revision of the path of the wires, the location of outlets and other things. In this regard, a wireless connection is an ideal solution.
Wiring methods without wires
Wireless networks that allow you to connect your PC to the Internet using Wi-Fi technology, by themselves, do not surprise anyone today. But how to connect the computer to wifi to provide additional convenience and get rid of extra cables that at least get on your nerves? Let’s talk about this in more detail.
To connect the computer to Wi-Fi, you can use three methods:
1) using an external adapter;
2) using an internal adapter;
3) through the router.
Each method has its own characteristics.
Before connecting the computer to wifi through an external adapter, you should purchase one. This device is connected via USB, so you do not need to disassemble the system unit to connect an external Wi-Fi adapter. In addition, you can use external devices with a USB connection for a laptop, in particular for providing a broadband connection or for replacing a faulty Wi-Fi module of a laptop.
An external adapter looks like a simple flash drive. But on the one hand it has a USB socket, through which it is connected to a PC, and on the other, an input for connecting a Wi-Fi antenna. You can use a USB cable: one end is inserted into the above socket, and the other is for flash drives, and in our case, for the antenna.
To know how to connect your computer to wifi, use the following instructions.
1. Connect the adapter to the computer (via the cable or directly) via the USB input. If the PC reports that the drivers have been successfully installed, ignore the message, because you need to install them yourself from the disk, which is sold with the receiver.
2. Insert the disk into the PC and run the “Setup Wizard” utility. When it opens, find your model in the list and click on the “Install drivers” line.
3. after that you will have to go through several windows, everywhere clicking on “Next”. If Windows informs you of an unknown driver manufacturer, ignore it and click on “Install Anyway …”.
4. When the process is over in a couple of minutes, you will see an icon on the taskbar, which means that the receiver is ready to connect your computer to Wi-Fi. Click on this icon and select the desired Wi-Fi network.
You will only have to enter the password and click on “OK”.
Before connecting the computer to wifi through the internal device, you will have to disassemble the system unit. The device connects to the motherboard via the PCI interface, connecting to a slot specially provided for this.
Connection through the internal device is as follows.
1. Open the system cover and find the slot for the Wi-Fi module on the motherboard (this is any PCI, which is usually located under the sound card at the bottom).
2. Connect the adapter.
3. Next, proceed as in the case with an external device: install the drivers through the appropriate drive and so on.
A router, or router, is another option on how to connect a computer to wifi, while the router should be located within the range of the signal. You can connect the router to the computer as follows.
Connect one end of the power cord to the LAN jack on the router, and the other end to the PC network card. When you connect the PC to the router, the indicator on the last one will light up, indicating the connection of the device. Then proceed as follows.
Go to the router’s interface – in the browser, in the address bar, enter the IP address of the router by setting http: //. You can read the address on the back of the device.
Enter the username and password – usually it is “admin” and “admin”.
Go to the settings and look for the “Network” item, and in it – “WAN”. Here you need to specify the network type. If you don’t know which connection is right for you, ask your provider. Then click “Save”.
Go to “MAC Clone” (in “Network”) and click on “Clone MAC Address”, and then save your changes by clicking on “Save” (” Save “).
Go to “Wireles” -> “Wireless Settings” and enter the appropriate values there, having come up with the name of the network. Do not forget to indicate your current region. Save.