How to connect the Internet to a computer through a mobile phone
Many users want to learn how to connect a computer to the Internet via a mobile phone, despite the relative high cost of mobile Internet and the slow speed of connecting to the Internet. For this reason, using a mobile device as the main Internet connection for a desktop PC is rather inconvenient, but it happens that this is the only option. If, for example, your main Internet provider is broken, you will have to resort to the use of mobile Internet. Therefore, it does not hurt to have an idea of how to connect a computer to the Internet through a mobile phone.
Connecting a PC to the Internet: a phone as an access point
There are several ways to connect a PC to the Internet via a mobile phone, and all of them are suitable for any version of the Windows operating system. The easiest way is to use a special function called “Access Point”. This feature is present in many modern smartphones of the latest models.
After you activate the “Access Point” function, the mobile phone will work as an ordinary Wi-Fi router, that is, it will begin to create a Wi-Fi network with Internet access. In order for Internet to work on your PC via a mobile phone, you only need to connect to the above Wi-Fi network.
Everything is simple and quick, but you should know that using the “Access Point” option has several drawbacks, namely:
1) not every phone supports this feature – only advanced smartphones have this feature;
2) the use of the “Access Point” option contributes to a very fast discharge of the mobile phone’s battery;
3) the use of the “Access Point” will entail an increased consumption of Internet traffic;
4) to connect to an access point on a PC, a Wi-Fi module must be installed.
Mobile phone as a modem
Another way that a computer can be connected to the Internet through a telephone is to use a mobile phone as a modem. This method, unlike the “Access Point” function, is suitable for most modern phones. But such “universality” has its price: the method is quite complicated. Let’s consider it in more detail and step by step.
Step one: connect the phone to the PC
To connect you will need:
1) a mobile phone with a built-in GPRS or EDGE modem (they are present in almost any modern mobile terminal);
2) a USB cable or a Bluetooth adapter to connect the phone to a PC (an adapter is not required if you connect a laptop with built-in Bluetooth, but in this case the mobile phone must also be equipped with Bluetooth).
3) a modem driver or a synchronizer utility for a mobile phone (it is supplied as a CD-ROM with a telephone or simply downloaded from an Internet resource).
4) SIM card of the relevant mobile operator with a certain amount in the account.
After you connect everything, install a program that synchronizes the operation of the PC and phone. Depending on the brand of phone, you can use the appropriate utility – Nokia Suite for Nokia phone or Samsung Kies for Samsung phone. If you purchased a mobile phone complete with a driver disk, install it as well.
When all the necessary programs with drivers are installed, in the “Device Manager” section you should see the modem of your mobile phone.
Step two: create a new internet connection
Now you can move on to creating a new Internet connection. To do this, go along the path: “Control Panel” -> “Internet and Network” -> “Network and Sharing Center”. In the latter, click on the line “Configure a new network connection”.
You will see a window titled “Establishing a Network Connection”. In this window, you will need the item “Configure phone connection”, then click on the “Next” button.
In the next window you need to specify a user name, password and the number to be dialed. The modem will use this data to connect to the Internet. If you need to know the number, password and login, just contact your mobile provider in the way that is provided for within the framework of the mobile communication you use.
After all the data has been entered, click on the “Connect” button. If you managed to do everything right, then the PC will connect to the Internet.
A method such as using the phone as a modem also has a couple of disadvantages:
1) the connection will not differ in quality and speed (depends on the operator and time of day);
2) the connection will cost you a little.
You should know that the cost (as, however, both speed and quality) of the Internet connection for different mobile operators differs significantly. You should find out in advance about the results of testing the Internet connection from operators whose coverage covers your region, and decide on the most favorable option for you (including a tariff plan).